Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What a great woman

On Sunday night I learned of my grandmother's passing.
During my father's senior year of highschool, his mother moved out of state and encouraged him to follow. Unwilling to leave his friends and the chance to be Student Body President, my dad decided to stay in Utah. Arrangements were made with a trusted family in the neighborhood and my father moved in. They welcomed him in their home and treated him as one of their own.
As a little girl I remember going to visit my "cousins" and "grandparents" at their respective homes. My "grandma" had the BEST backyard a child could ask for; lots of green grass to run around on, a tree that seemed to touch the sky... tire swing included, and a raspberry patch that seemed endless!
Unfortunately, as the years passed these cherished visits were fewer until we saw erach other only for weddings or a random encounter at the local Costco. What wonderful people!!!!
I had promised to stop by so my own children could also experience their generousity and create memories in the same backyard. Life slipped too quickly..... and it saddens me to think my children will have to wait to meet Grandma Barbara.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Thankfully, we have the Plan of Salvation to make it possible for your kids to meet and get to know her. Sorry for your loss.